If you’re facing an unplanned pregnancy and wondering if you can buy the abortion pill online, the answer is complicated. While you can technically find the abortion pill online, the FDA advises against it. This is because the source, quality, safety, and effectiveness of the abortion pill drugs purchased online can’t be guaranteed.
If you’re considering buying the abortion pill online, it’s essential to learn all you can about the abortion pill so that you can make an informed, safe decision. Read on to learn more, or if you want to talk to someone in person about your pregnancy options, contact Colorado Springs Pregnancy Center today to be connected to one of our caring team members.
How Does the Abortion Pill Work?
The abortion pill is actually a combination of two different drugs: mifepristone and misoprostol. These are powerful drugs that interfere with your body’s natural processes.
Mifepristone works by blocking progesterone in your body. This hormone is needed to sustain pregnancy, and without it, your pregnancy ends.
Misoprostol is taken next, and it causes your uterus to contract and expel your terminated pregnancy through your vagina.
How Might the Abortion Pill Affect Me Physically?
After taking the abortion pill drugs, you will experience abdominal cramping and vaginal bleeding. However, these drugs are also associated with certain risks, which include:
- Incomplete abortion, which is when parts of the terminated pregnancy remain in your uterus
- An ongoing pregnancy if the procedure doesn’t work
- Heavy and prolonged bleeding
- Digestive system discomfort
Certain situations can make you more likely to experience these risks, which is why the abortion pill drugs aren’t recommended in the following situations:
- Are too far along in your pregnancy—the abortion pill is only FDA-approved if your pregnancy is under 10 weeks gestation.
- Have an intrauterine device (IUD) currently in place
- Have a suspected ectopic pregnancy, which is a life-threatening situation in which the pregnancy grows outside your uterus.
- Have certain medical conditions, which include bleeding disorders; certain heart or blood vessel diseases; severe liver, kidney, or lung disease; or an uncontrolled seizure disorder
- Take a blood thinner or certain steroid medicines
- Can’t make follow-up visits to your provider or don’t have access to emergency care
- Have an allergy to the medicine used
If you’re considering the abortion pill, it’s essential to determine the age and location of your pregnancy to help protect your health. The only reliable way to determine these details is through ultrasound. You’ll also want to review your health information with a medical provider to ensure that the abortion pill is an option for your situation.
At Colorado Springs Pregnancy Center, we offer ultrasound and options counseling at no cost to you. Contact us today to schedule your confidential appointment. You’re not alone in this. We’re here for you.